Note: Please understand that this website is not affiliated with the Jovan company in any way, it is only a reference page for collectors and those who have enjoyed the Jovan fragrances.


The goal of this website is to show the present owners of the Jovan company how much we miss the discontinued classics and hopefully, if they see that there is enough interest and demand, they will bring back your favorite perfume!


Please leave a comment below (for example: of why you liked the perfume, describe the scent, time period or age you wore it, who gave it to you or what occasion, any specific memories), who knows, perhaps someone from the company might see it.

Saturday, November 30, 2013

VSP by Jovan c1973

VSP (Very Special Perfume) by Jovan was launched in 1973.



It was available in the following:
  • parfum
  • cologne
  • cologne concentrate
  • scented soap


“We began thinking about it almost two years ago. We studied some of the great perfumes of the world- Chanel No. 5, Joy,Shalimar, Bal a Versailles, and L’Air du Temps - which are classics, because we wanted ours to be on a par with them. We wanted a quality perfume with a warm floral scent at a medium price. Those perfumes range from about $12.50 to $37 for one-third ounce. VSP costs $ for the same amount," said Nancy Hayden, a nose for Jovan. Since there are about 65 elements in the fragrance including jasmine, rose, hyacinth, sage, orris root, balsam and ylang ylang, Nancy and others spent months testing combinations formulated at the firm’s plant in Bensenville. “We wanted to offer a one third ounce of perfume at $5 because so many women have never been able to try quality perfume because they couldn’t afford it. Americans tend to buy cologne and toilet water rather than perfume because they’re more reasonable.”

Fragrance Composition:


So what does it smell like? It is classified as a sweet floral  fragrance for women. Opens with an aldehydic fresh top, followed by a radiant floral heart, resting on a woody, powdery base.
  • Top notes: aldehydes, hyacinth, bergamot, green accord, peach
  • Middle notes: Italian gardenia, ylang ylang, Bulgarian rose, Grasse jasmine, lily of the valley, orris root, lilac, carnation
  • Base notes: sage, balsam, sandalwood, oakmoss, musk, cedar, incense, cistus


Palm Beach Daily News. 1973:
"The manufacturer says a new perfume captures the delicate sensuality of real flowers in a passion-compelling fragrance. Jovan, the perfume house, calls it very special perfume” - VSP, for short. Though the perfume is patterned after the world’s costliest perfumes, according to the manufacturer, it will sell at an “unheard of” low price for costly perfume - $5 for a one-third ounce  bottle. That comes to $15 an ounce. Costly perfume goes for over twice that. The manufacturer also says “The woman who wants real romance will find VSP’s flower power a heady blend of shyness and sensuality.”

Vogue, 1974:
"A new fragrance on the American scene now is well-named Very Special Perfume by Jovan of Chicago. Made from natural oils of freshly pressed flowers, it is known — with the American passion for initials — as VSP. "

Vogue, 1976:
"You choose VSP, very special perfume. Innocently floral on the surface, simmering with passion underneath."

Fate of the Fragrance:


It seems that VSP was discontinued sometime around 1984. To this day, Jovan has no plans to reissue this fragrance, much to the chagrin of many of its former faithful users.


9 comments:

  1. I wore VSP all through college. It was so lovely. I would buy it again if it were still on the market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it back in the day, early 1970,s. I just today discovered something very close. A new fragrance by Beekman 1802 called Flower Market. You’d swear it was VSP. Maybe it’s a secret I should keep to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bring back VSP even just for awhile as a special or maybe anniversary celebration! I would definitely buy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh! This was my first perfume. I wore it from age 16 - 24 and LOVED it. I would definitely love for Jovan to bring this one back. So would my husband. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved VSP. My cousin bought me a very large bottle one Christmas and when I was told they were discontinuing it, I stocked up. I only wore it on special occasions and still have a little left. PLEASE JOVAN, BRING BACK VSP. I got so many compliments on this fragrance. I haven't found anything close to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PLEASE JOVAN, BRING BACK VSP. I did stock up many years ago, when I was told that it,was being discontinued. Also, my cousin gave me a large bottle of the cologne. Only wore it on special occasions, so I do have a little left, but I would love to be able to purchase it again. I have gotten so many compliments on this scent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I keep revisiting this site in hopes that Jovan will listen to our requests..... Please bring VSP back, even just a temporary trial

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this perfume. Bring it back PLEASE

    ReplyDelete